Re: [Nmh-workers] Hybrid approach

2014-02-13 15:52:09

In the message dated: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 21:36:04 +0100,
The pithy ruminations from otahler(_at_)gmx(_dot_)ca on
<[Nmh-workers] Hybrid approach> were:
=> The recent discussion on the previous thread brought me to a slightly
=> different train of thoughts: what if I use both Sylpheed/Claws Mail AND
=> nmh/mailutils? Not at the same time, of course. Originally, the email

I do that...at the same time. I use Claws Mail.

That approach gives me decent handling of attachments & MIME content,
address completion, and good threading.

I use nmh pretty heavily for searching, filing, and all mail actions from a
command-line.

I've got Claws-Mail configured to call nmh's "repl", and -- to confuse things
-- I've got "comp" aliased to call Claws-Mail if I'm under an X Windows
session.

=> client that I had chosen was Claws Mail, but then I realized that by
=> using the MH tools I could do much more, so I changed my mind and
=> started thinking about using the MH tools (mnh or mailutils) directly,
=> because I would be able to do much more with them.
=> Now it is dawning upon me that I could use Claws Mail most of the time,
=> for my day-to-day needs, and nmh/mailutils for my special needs.
=> It would be a hybrid approach, in which the same messages/folders are
=> used by two different systems: Claws Mail and nmh/mailutils.
=>
=> Has anyone tried anything like this yet? Could I run into some
=> incompatibilities?

Yes. Claws mail will corrupt the .mh_sequences file.

Nmh operations that change the message order beyond just adding messages to a
folder will slightly confuse Claws mail, but that's easy to deal with by
rescanning the folder[s].

=>
=> Above all, do you think that this approach makes sense?

I think that anyone who can deal with a command-line mail client will be able
to manage with a GUI mail handler, but it's up to you to decide whether the
rough edges are too irritating.

You might want to take a good look at exmh (and I should do that as well). I
used exmh for several years, and it plays much better with nmh, but I finally
gave up on it in order to get better MIME handling and threading, but those
functions may have been improved since.

Mark

=>
=> Thanks for the advice
=>
=> Otto
=>
=> _______________________________________________
=> Nmh-workers mailing list
=> Nmh-workers(_at_)nongnu(_dot_)org
=> https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/nmh-workers
=>

--
Mark Bergman    Biker, Rock Climber, Unix mechanic, IATSE #1 Stagehand
'94 Yamaha GTS1000A^2

http://wwwkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=bergman%40panix.com

I want a newsgroup with a infinite S/N ratio! Now taking CFV on:
rec.motorcycles.stagehands.pet-bird-owners.pinballers.unix-supporters
15+ So Far--Want to join? Check out: http://www.panix.com/~bergman