Re: [Nmh-workers] A useless but interesting exercise: Design MH from scratch in the 2014 context

2014-02-19 10:50:03
Just because you can use a lot of disk space doesn't mean you should.  If
you use a database backend for indexing the messages you detect and avoid
duplicate copies of attachments.  The actual pieces of the message could
still exist in directories with duplicate copies linked in.  Attachments,
and copies of attachments, are the main source of disk usage in my mail
folders.

I dunno; to me, databases are fine for specialized things, but just add
a level of complexity that I don't necessarily think is useful.  Also,
I'm not sure of the savings; maybe it's just me, but I rarely get identical
copies of the same message or attachment.

You could go even further and use FUSE to present a legacy interface.
While maintaining a backend in another format, even on an IMAP server.

Ow, FUSE?  Say goodbye to portability.