Re: [Nmh-workers] A useless but interesting exercise: Design MH from scratch in the 2014 context

2014-02-20 21:11:57

Jon Steinhart <jon(_at_)fourwinds(_dot_)com> wrote:
    > I use these hooks to build a separate searchable database.  I have a
    > number
    > of additional command line utilities that operate on this database.

I'm interested in trying this.

    > Any of you could use these hooks to maintain a separate directory tree
    > that
    > stores mail in a format that you prefer, such as one directory per
    > message.

I would also run this if it existed.

    > I would point out that a minor problem with this approach, which would
    > also
    > exist if nmh were to change storage systems, is making sure that the
    > subsidiary
    > files are synchronized with the originals.  I have (and nmh would need) a
    > fsck-like utility that checks and fixes this stuff.  Problems don't
    > often arise,
    > but a disk-full or system crash at the wrong time can mess things up.

True.
I think the right approach is that we need to figure out what are the missing
APIs that would make mh-e and exmh happy, and add them before we think about
any changes to the store.

I move my older emails from my desktop to another machine, and they become
essentially read-only, but I'd sure like to have a cached read-only copy on
my laptop.   I keep thinking that disconnected AFS is really the right
answer, but to date, I have never run AFS...

]     mcr(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ca  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on
rails    [