Re: [Nmh-workers] A useless but interesting exercise: Design MH from scratch in the 2014 context

2014-02-23 00:08:56
Lyndon wrote:

There is nothing that says we cannot undo transport encodings for
text/* parts when we write store a message into a folder.

mhfixmsg -decodetext 8bit

And despite the prevalence of QP and base64, I still find grep works
quite well for me.

Agreed.

If we undid the transport encodings for text/* and converted
everything to utf8, you could then, e.g., alias mhgrep='env
LC_ALL=en_CA.UTF-8 grep'.

mhfixmsg -textcharset UTF-8, if built with iconv.

Paul V. wrote:

all true. but there's a strong feeling among MH zealots, of whom i am
one and which feeling i do share, that what gets written to
$HOME/Mail/inbox/42 ought to be the raw BODY that came in over SMTP.

mhfixmsg moves the original message the same way as rmm, if
you'd like to keep it.  It will create a , file (by default) or
call your rmmproc.

David