Re: [Nmh-workers] problem with mark zeroing out sequences

2014-02-26 11:18:24
My *intent* when adding the hook code was to allow external, non-nmh programs
to access the message store keeping track of changes.  I added this code for
a specific purpose, and never thought about anyone executing nmh commands
inside of hook code.  So I support Ken's conclusion that doing so is madness.

I understand, and yet it's such a powerful way to extend the features of nmh
without requiring core changes e.g; the supplemental MIME storage I'm using.

If we need to add functionality to nmh to make it so commands don't modify
the sequence file and/or context, and as a result won't get a folder lock,
that seems like a reasonable compromise to me.

Of course, if you want to CALL mark inside of a hook, then all bets are
off :-)  I'm unclear how we can make that better.  I will note that rcvstore
can add messages to specific sequences, and there was a deprecated feature
where a special mh-format instruction could do the same.  We could resurrect
that feature (or something like it) if there was interest.