Re: [Nmh-workers] problem with mark zeroing out sequences

2014-02-26 10:36:08
Ken Hornstein writes:
Hooks are a relatively new addition to nmh, and it was never really defined
very well what you could expect to work inside of them.  I am unsure how
we can guarantee that you can safely modify nmh metadata INSIDE of a hook
when running a program that also modifies nmh metadata; that way seems
to lie madness.

Hi.  Jon the perennial nmh submarine issue problem guy.  Clearly my role is
to add code that sits quietly for at least a decade before becoming an issue.

My *intent* when adding the hook code was to allow external, non-nmh programs
to access the message store keeping track of changes.  I added this code for
a specific purpose, and never thought about anyone executing nmh commands
inside of hook code.  So I support Ken's conclusion that doing so is madness.

Jon