Re: [Nmh-workers] General question - unsupported charset conversion

2014-02-28 14:36:13

On Feb 28, 2014, at 12:24 PM, Ken Hornstein <kenh(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com> wrote:

Fair enough ... but iconv() is part of POSIX, so assuming that it's available
is reasonable (if you don't have iconv(), we basically give up in terms of
handling different character sets).

Sadly, iconv() in practice is a nightmare.  The versions shipped with base OS
systems vs. how applications expect to see the gnu-ized version(s) makes it
impossible to keep a clean build environment in the face of the two.  (I just
spent two days fighting this battle porting code to FreeBSD.)

Sucking in a POSIX-compliant iconv lets us be consistent everywhere.  And if
ours is tightly POSIX compliant, we are no more wrong than anyone else.

--lyndon