Re: [Nmh-workers] Suggested new switches for sortm: -recon and --norecon

2014-03-01 11:37:11
Ken Hornstein <kenh(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com> writes:
I suggest two new switches to sortm: -recon and -norecon.

The -recon switch (like the -n, --just-print, --dry-run, or --recon switch to
make) would cause sortm to not change the order of any messages. It would be
useful in connection with the -check and -verbose switches.

That seems pretty straightforward to implement (just don't call rename()
and the hook at the appropriate place).  I can work on that in a little
while.  Although I'm not sure I'm in love with the switch name; anyone
else have a suggestion?

I chose '-recon" because "recon" is an English word, "-recon" is a make
switch  and because no other sortm switch presently begins with "-r".
"-dryrun" would be much better, but it and "-datefield" have the same
first two letters.

By the way, is there some admonition anywhere advising mh script writers
to always use the full name of switches, lest later versions of nmh create
an ambiguity? Maybe it's in Peek somewhere?

    Norman Shapiro