[Nmh-workers] Configure, SSL, and SASL.

2014-03-12 15:03:56

On Mar 12, 2014, at 12:43 PM, Ken Hornstein <kenh(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com> wrote:

Right now the assumption is that if you've done --with-tls or
--with-cyrus-sasl you've made the right adjustments to CPPFLAGS and/or
LDFLAGS and we can kick an error.  Although ... fixing that so it tries
to do those things and gracefully skips them if you can't make it work
I don't think would be so hard.  The pieces are in place, it would just
require a reshuffling.  Let me look at it.

For the openssl case, all you need to do is look for openssl/ssl.h in the
default include path, and that -lssl -lcrypto can find SSL_library_init() in
the default linker search path.  Then I would change --with-tls to override the
base search path for the includes and libraries.  This is how most packages
seem to handle it, and it works fine.  Although I would probably rename
--with-tls to --with-openssl to better describe what it does.

As an example, on FreeBSD, the above defaults would find the OpenSSL
implementation in the base OS.  Configuring with --with-openssl=/usr/local
would find the optional version built from FreeBSD ports.

The Cyrus SASL stuff could be just as simple, although we might want to augment
the search paths on a case-by-case basis.  E.g., on FreeBSD, SASL comes from
ports, so you need to look for it in /usr/local (well, ${PORTSBASE:-/usr/local}
...).

Given all the fuss over security on the net these days, we really should be
defaulting this stuff to 'ON' whenever possible.

--lyndon