Re: [Nmh-workers] New mh-mime(7) man page

2014-03-15 06:18:45
Hi Ken,

    In this case a substitution character will be used for the
    characters that cannot be converted.

It's always the same character used for all ones that couldn't be
converted?  Or does it mean turning “” into ""?

Weeell … I didn't want to get TOO specific, but since you asked … it's
not always the same character.  Specifically, if it's a filename (like
the Content-Disposition "filename" parameter) it gets converted to an
underscore, because '?' seemed like a lousy default substitution
character in that particular case since it matches a shell wildcard.
But '?' in that parameter still ends up as a '?', so maybe that's not
a valid concern.  Anyway, more detail than I had intended for this man
page.  This was intended as an overview rather than explicit detail;
if people think this is appropriate here rather than in
command-specific man pages, I'd be open to changing that.

I think parameters can be ignored at this level, but as a reader getting
an overview I'd be interested to know if it's a simple replacement with
a constant '?' or more like

    $ recode utf-8..us <<<‘’“”«»…£€¢
    ''""<<>>...lbEURc

Cheers, Ralph.