Re: [Nmh-workers] Future thoughts: better MIME processing

2014-04-12 10:44:42
Hi Ken,

When I get a calendar request, I want to first "show" it.  Okay,
that's easy to understand.  I could write something to take a
text/calendar object and convert it to something more easily readable.
But the NEXT thing I want to do is store it to my calendar.  On MacOS,
that's pretty easy; I save it as an .ics file, and use "open" to open
it; what happens then is Calendar opens up, asks me which calendar to
store it in, and then magically sends it to the cloud.  I could maybe
add some AppleScript glue to make that a bit smarter, but that's not
really my point.  The real issue to me is ... what is this operation?
It's not a "store", because to me a "store" is just saving the file.
A "process"?  A different kind of "show"?  Not sure just yet.

Whatever it is, this new verb will probably still not cover all the
other things people might want to do with parts of a MIME email.  How
about `mhdo sched 42' that looks for mhdo-sched-text/calendar, because
42 is just a text/calendar email, and does the command found there?

That way, I can have verbs that make sense to me for my MIME types
rather than trying to be prescriptive.

(`mhdo' isn't well considered.)

Cheers, Ralph.