Re: [Nmh-workers] suppressing display methods

2014-04-22 10:23:34
david wrote:
Paul F. wrote:

i've long thought that it wasn't possible for a user's local
configuration to "mask out" a display method configured in
/etc/mhn.defaults.  it turns out that this isn't true,

Should the addition mention that?  Maybe in a paragraph to
precede the one you wrote, mentioning:  mhn.defaults is read
first, then the user's profile and any additional profiles
specified by the environment variables listed in the
mh-profile(5) man page.  The last value read for any entry is
the one that is used.

that's not quite right.  first .mh_profile is read, then $MHSHOW, then
/etc/mhn.defaults, and the first definition wins.  the order is
unfortunate, in my opinion, since intuitively something defined in the
environment should override something defined in a file.

that's just all the more reason to describe the full mechanism
more completely, and i agree with putting the full description in
mh-profile (perhaps along with a brief pointer in the other pages).

paul

so i'd like to apply this (or a similar) patch to all of the
appropriate man pages (i.e., mhbuild, mhshow, mhstore, mhn, mhfixmsg),
but obviously only if people think the behavior is intentional.

I believe that it's intentional and I think it's a good idea
to document it.

Instead of duplicating it in 5 places, maybe just put it in the
mh-profile page?

David