Re: [Nmh-workers] sortm and folder -pack preserve sequence membership

2014-05-02 09:57:55
Ken Hornstein <kenh(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com> writes:
Hm.  A quick code inspection suggests to me that things like sortm and
folder -pack should preserve sequence membership.  Really, anything that
uses copy_msg_flags() should.

They do indeed. Shouldn't the man pages for sortm, folder and burst say that?

I'm neutral on that; it seems obvious to me that the sequences would be
preserved;

I don't know why, but the opposite was obvious to me. Perhaps for historical
reasons.

I'd only expect a notice if they were not (although, I'm not
sure what burst would do that it would change sequence membership).
If someone wants to to propose a change, that's fine with me.

Until a few weeks ago, I had been assuming that they were not.

As we've seen, most of those man pages originate from your era, Norm.
How come you guys never mentioned that? :-)

Yes, the man pages for sortm, folder and (I think) burst, originated at
Rand, but sequences originated at U.C Irvine, after Rand released MH into
the public domain. It's true that we had a lot of input into the process,
but almost all  the actual work was was done at Irvine.