Re: [Nmh-workers] Getting the addresses with comments of sent messages

2014-05-14 09:17:48
That puts multiple addresses on the same line, delimited by commas. But commas
can also occur in comments, so I would have to go to some trouble to parse the
output. Is there a variant that would put each address on on a separate line?
I tried sprinkling '\n's in your format string, to no avail.

Unfortunately ... mh-format(5) doesn't really have the ability to parse
multiple addresses.  You can build up a list of addresses with %(formataddr),
but you can't really "take the next address in a list and do something with
it".  There are also no loop operations, which is what you'd really need.
I've kind of thought about that vaguely, but I never came up with a reasonable
way of dealing with it.  To ensure that mh-format completes you probably
want some bounded kind of loop that would parse an address list and set
str to each address in the list.  Actually, I see that wouldn't really work
as all of the useful functions require a component argument.  It would
be pretty complicated to implement.  Maybe it would look like ...

%[{to} <some code that executes with "to" being set to each address in the
address list> %]

I could try to RTFM, i.e. to read and understand the man page for mh-format,
but I've been hoping to die before that.

Didn't you guys invent mh-format, or was that something that got done at UCI?