Re: [Nmh-workers] Request for new command: addresses

2014-05-28 09:34:59
David Levine <levinedl(_at_)acm(_dot_)org> writes:

There are still a couple of minor problems:

     As I commented earlier, in this thread, there is nothing to prevent
     some future version of repl using a different prompt. One way
     to prevent that would be to put "Reply to:" in the man page.
     I herewith request that.

How's this?

  The  -query switch modifies the action of -nocc type switch by interac-
  tively asking you if each address that normally would be placed in  the
  "To:"  and  "cc:"  list should actually be sent a copy.  This is useful
  for special-purpose replies.  The prompt format is

       Reply to address?

  That prompt will not change, so that scripts can rely on it.  Note that
  the  position  of  the  -cc and -nocc switches, like all other switches
  which take a positive and negative form, is important.

("address" in the prompt is italicized.)  I also added a comment
to the code.  It's just on master:  if OK, I don't see a reason
not to add this to 1.6.

     repl returns a non-zero exit code because of the the "-editor false"
     arguments , as well as to actual errors, such as an
     unreadable message. The script blissfully ignores the latter.
     I don't think that problem is worth pursuing.

It would be really easy to have repl exit with status of 2
instead of 1 for the "-editor false" case or any other failure
of the editor.  But if we're going to touch that, I think that
we should consider passing back the exit status from the editor
(or attempt to invoke the editor, so return 127 if not found).
editfile() currently maps any failure to a status of -2,
starting at line 734 in uip/whatnowsbr.c.  Its callers map that
to 1.  (buildfile() maps it to -1 but its caller ignores the
return value.)

If you did that, then you should do for all of the composition commands.

I wonder, though, if would be less trouble to write a C program, starting with
the repl source, for an addresses command then trying to modify repl to
support a very clever and ingenious script approach to using repl. It would
certainly be cleaner. Also, if that were done, then incorporating the -cc and
-nocc options of repl would be natural, and I except, easy.

    Norman Shapiro