Re: [Nmh-workers] Getting mhshow to invoke my browser for html parts

2014-06-02 12:20:05
I believe that open will examine the contents of the file an invoke the right
application to read it.  On OSX, it could be that it only invokes the
application associated with the resource type of the file, but I am skeptical
about that.

Respectfully ... you are wrong.  Easy enough to test: copy "foo.pdf" to
"foo.html", and then "open" it; it will open into a browser.

If you dig down into it, "open" uses Launch Services to determine the
application to use to open a particular file.  If you haven't specified
a specific application to use, it uses the filename extension.  If you
really want to be extra-careful, you can pass an -a flag to open, but
it's not necessary.

(This is the whole reason why temporary files are written out with the
correct extension).