Re: [Nmh-workers] mhstore RFE: add facility to manipulate the original filename

2014-06-03 04:20:42
Ken Hornstein <kenh(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com> writes:

Background: I’m using mhstore in a script to automatically
extract images and text from messages. Since the messages come
from and results go to naïve users, I’d like to be able to use
the original file basenames so that they recognise what they
sent.

-auto isn’t desirable because it completely ignores the filename
if there’s anything dodgy about it. So I currently create a
temporary profile with mhstore-<type> lines, but this loses the
original filename completely.

So, digging back a little while ...

We don't (yet) have a way of interrogating a MIME message to get out
particular MIME parameters.  It occurs to me that would be useful.  We did
talk earlier about adding some structured output capability to mhlist;
I made the point that having the ability to specify a mh-format instruction
rather than depend on a particular output format would probably be more
useful and long-term portable.

That would be exactly what I want; mhstore and mhlist probably
should have similar format options.

--
Jón Fairbairn
Jon(_dot_)Fairbairn(_at_)cl(_dot_)cam(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk