Re: [Nmh-workers] Why wasn't I paying attention?

2014-06-03 08:46:17
During the development of nmh-1.6, there was extensive message traffic
about mhshow. Wouldn't I have fewer questions and make fewer stupid remarks
if I had paid attention to that traffic? Maybe?  I did try to follow
those discussions but couldn't understand most of them.

I don't think you (or anyone else) should feel bad about that.  Most of
the discussions about nmh changes have two parts:

1) Discussion of the concepts behind an interface change
2) How to implement 1).

Most of the longer discussions end up being 2), which can go off into
the weeds onto very technical things like how the iconv library works
and particular paragraphs of RFCs.

When I suggest an interface change, I usually try to generate a summary
email that covers the broad concepts to explain my ideas.  Here's an
example:

   http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/nmh-workers/2014-03/msg00030.html

Most of the later discussion was about nuts and bolts things, like
what to do with particular MIME parts, particular flags, etc etc.  But
if anyone has any questions about anything, you should feel free to
ask!  I usually have a good idea in my head about how the change impacts
users, even if I'm not always so good about explaining it.