Re: [Nmh-workers] Selecting headers for mhshow to display

2014-06-08 10:17:49
Robert Elz <kre(_at_)munnari(_dot_)OZ(_dot_)AU> writes:
Date:        Sat, 07 Jun 2014 08:50:33 -0700
From:        norm(_at_)dad(_dot_)org

| I would have to list the headers that I don't want to see, rather than the
| headers that I do want to see.

Ken told you how to avoid that, but I'd suggest keeping that default
the way it is - while listing the headers you don't want, rather than
the ones you do want seems like an unnecessary chore, it really is the
better way.

If you remove the "extras" entry from your mhl format file, you'll never
see anything different or new - and probably never even be aware
it exists.  On the other hand, if you don't, then every now and then
(perhaps 2 or 3 times a year, realistically, after some initial setup)
you get tired of seeing some new header that has become popular, but isn't
useful to you, and you add it to the ignore list.   But when a new header
appears that is useful, you see it, and then, if appropriate, can add it
to your format file explicitly so you can control the way it is presented
(or just leave it to be one of the extras output pretty much as it appears).

Well ... , you talked me into leaving the extras entry and explicitly listing
all the ignores. But, just after dealing with two Emails, one from Ken
Hornstein and one from a Gmail user, I now have 36 extra ignores. (I will
attach my mhl.headers file). I fear that I may get a maintenance headache.

    Norman Shapiro