[Nmh-workers] A permute command for nmh 1.7 ?

2014-06-17 11:34:09
The sortm, refile and folder commands can all reorder the messages of a
directory. But there is no way to arbitrarily reorder some or all of the
messages of a directory.

I am therefore taking the liberty of requesting a permute command.

It's main and required arguments would be a list of message numbers, or maybe
if that did not make the implementation significantly more difficult, even a
list of message sequences. It would rearrange the messages in the order of the
list.

It would be an error for the list to repeat any messages or for any of the
messages not to exist.

An additional argument would be an optional folder name. The default would be
the current folder.

It would accept -retainsequences and -noretainsequences flags, with the same
meaning as in the folder command, except that cur would not be treated
specially and that -retainsequences would be the default. I'm quite willing to
forgo these two flags. Then the command would retain sequences as do sortm and
folder -pack.

It would change the current folder to the folder on which it was operating. It
would not change the current message, except as required by the
-retainsequences flag.

I really don't know, but I'm guessing that much of the code for this
command, would already be in the code for sortm.

    Norman Shapiro