Re: [Nmh-workers] Request for sortm feature to implement arbitrary message ordering

2014-06-25 10:04:07
Ken Hornstein <kenh(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com> writes:
path-name would name a command which would be invoked by sortm. It would be
given 2 arguments, full path names of messages.

Are you suggesting that it be fork()ed and exec()d for each message (as
opposed to have a long-running program that gets executed just once per
sorm invocation)?

Yes, I was thinking of  of  a fork/exec for each message pair, for which
sortm wanted a comparison.

If so, it occurs to me that it would be simpler to
just make the > < decision based on the exit code of the process.

I should have said that the specifications I gave were to illustrate the
functionality I was requesting, leaving the actual specifications to my
betters. The variation you propose would make little difference to the author
of the command, which would usually be a script.

On the other hand, the idea, of using a non-zero exit code for a non-failure,
spooks me, for largely irrational reasons.

    Norman Shapiro