Re: [Nmh-workers] What are and what should be the qualifications for a current nmh user

2014-07-12 08:58:08
I now have installed nmh 1.6 to the point that if works well enough, though
not perfectly, for me. But I could not have without your assistance.

Thinking back ... your two major problems, as I recall, was a) you didn't
have a 8-bit compatible locale, and b) you wanted HTM content rendered in
your browser, rather than the terminal.

We have a hard time dealing with a), other than perhaps emit a run-time
warning if you don't have a good locale (I kind of thought this wasn't
a problem anymore and the default was something usable everywhere, but
you're not the only one recently who had this issue).  The locale settings
are the standard way of indicating what you can support, and having a
special nmh setting for that is just asking for trouble.

b) is not an appropriate default; our default (which I recall worked
fine for you, although most of the discussion was determining whether
or not it was actually doing the right thing) was that if you have a
workable text-based browser, we use that.  I'm open to putting extra
stuff in the configuration files that show examples of other things you
can do; one downside to a non-monolithic MUA is you have to interact
with a lot of other tools to completely render MIME content.