Re: [Nmh-workers] odd 1.6 behavior

2014-07-14 22:33:13
Ken Hornstein writes:
What problem were you solving by breaking this?

You mean OTHER than the completely horrible, lousy, absolutely terrible
MIME handling that mhshow has out of the box on pretty much any modern
email you're likely to receive today?

You can read the thread here where this was discussed:

  http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/nmh-workers/2014-03/msg00030.html

There were no objections to this change.  There was other discussion about
this change, but it was mostly about tweaking or adding to it (and fixing
a few bugs that were introduced along the way).

--Ken

OK, took a look.  The thread doesn't clearly indicate to me that things were
going to be broken as opposed to the addition of a new feature.  Remember me?
I'm the don't-break-stuff guy.

I think that this is pretty broken from a user perspective.  Not the current
change, but having both show and mhshow.  I would just use mhshow for everything
except that it doesn't do next and prev.  And I can't use show for everything
because it doesn't understand -part.  Well, it sort of since "show -part 1"
makes message number 1 the current message but that's not the result that I
expected either.  And "show -part 2" gives and error message and sets cur to 2.
Seems like a bug.

So while I have no time to pay attention to this or do any work at the moment,
it seems like this is a step along the path to what I suggested years ago.  I
would be happier if mhshow got consumed by show.  And happier still if the
resultant program could have next and prev arguments to -part so that I could
have aliases like nextp which would be "show -part next".  Would eliminate the
pain of having to read and type in part numbers.

Jon