Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh internals: full MIME integration

2014-07-29 23:09:38

On Jul 29, 2014, at 7:41 PM, Ken Hornstein <kenh(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com> wrote:

So here's the thing ... right now we (mostly) don't have to think about
processing UTF-8.  We get bytes in from decoding and squirt them out.
There's no processing; we leave that up to the terminal to handle it.
We're essentially UTF-8 ignorant, the same way we're ISO-8859 ignorant.

Because the libc routines are at the mercy of the locale.  If someone is using,
say, and 8859-x based locale, the libc code isn't necessarily going to do the
right thing with utf8, and we cannot stomp on the locale as that would
potentially break the displayed output.