Re: [Nmh-workers] (no subject)

2014-08-20 08:01:31
Ken wrote:

[David:]
The parts are stored in reverse order in the message to make
them easier to view with non-MIME-conformant viewers.  That is
irrelevant to a user of mhlist/mhstore.  Why expose it?

I guess it's all about what you mean by "reverse" order.

The same as RFC 2046 §5.1.4 means.

So, why expose it?  Well, everywhere else we display the exact MIME
structure as it exists in the message.

We do here, too.

Maybe my point about non-MIME-conformant viewers isn't
coming through.  When using MIME tools, I want the MIME
structure that the tools, such as mhshow, use.  When using
less(1), I get what's in the file, but I'm on my own to
impose any kind of structure on it.

I found the exception for multipart/alternative confusing, and it's
non-obvious behavior if you know about MIME.

I disagree, especially after seeing the rationale in the RFC.

I wasn't actually proposing to change just mhlist; what would happen
would be to simply delete the reverse_parts() function.

Please don't.

I would have done it back when I first discovered this,

And maybe there's an nmh user out there who's glad you didn't :-)

David