[Nmh-workers] RFC 6530 and support for message/global

2014-08-24 21:45:01
For those of you who haven't seen it, Gmail now supports RFC 6530:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/08/07/gmail_goes_international_with_rfc_6530_support/

It would be nice for once that instead of being a decade behind the times,
nmh was actually up to date on modern standards.  Here are my unorganized
thoughts on this issue:

- It's completely unclear to me what happens if you send email from a
  RFC 6530 system to a system that does not support it.  It looks like
  it might bounce?  I read the RFC, but it seemed to push off the hard
  questions to out of scope.

- It looks like according to RFC 6532 if you get stuff with UTF-8 characters
  in the headers, you automatically assume it's a message/global type
  (I guess thinking about it, you normally don't use message/global in
  a Content-Type header unless you're forwarding on another message).

- It seems like if we get 8-bit characters in message headers we should
  assume that they're UTF-8.  Well, we should check if that's true,
  using something like this:

  http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ucs/utf8_check.c

- Right now we reject addresses that have 8-bit characters in them; I'm
  wondering if that restriction should be relaxed.  Well, perhaps checking
  to see if they're UTF-8, of course.

- I guess sending to such systems would mean we should use SMTPUTF8 when
  doing mail submission.

- We should still use header encoding as appropriate (RFC-2047 or the like).

I'm sure there are a ton of things that I'm missing, of course.