Re: [Nmh-workers] Thoughts: header/address parsing

2014-08-24 22:11:57
I wrote:

1) Instead of callers allocating the space for the fmt_scan()
   output, have fmt_scan() do it.  Callers would pass a **char
   instead of a char array and be responsible for free'ing the
   space when they're done.

2) fmt_scan() would use some function of width as the initial
   size of the space and realloc by 2X as needed.

Done, though I wrapped the char** in a new charstring_t type.
It keeps track of the character count, accounting for multibyte
characters.

Ken, I removed -bufsize from fmttest because it no longer did
anything.

3) To not break existing user scripts, width would continue to
   include the trailing newline.  Add support for an optional
   profile setting to not include the trailing newline.

I don't think we ever resolved how to handle this:  wcwidth()
returns -1 for the width of newlines, and other non-printable
characters.  And the profile setting idea didn't fly.  And I
don't know if it's worth adding another switch just to not count
the newline.

David