Re: [Nmh-workers] Thoughts: header/address parsing

2014-08-10 21:29:00
Ralph wrote:

I know there are few nmh programmers that haven't coded assember,
but -outsize is something only a programmer could like.  :-)

:-)  I don't care what it's called, I'll leave that up to
you and Ken.

The functionality sounds OK, though it needs to know `Foo' is 2+1+1;
there's no mention of wider-than-one runes above AFAICS.

    $ fmttest -outsize 2 -raw -format '%{text}' 'Fo'

produces no output but

    $ fmttest -outsize 3 -raw -format '%{text}' 'Fo  | od -x
0000000 bcef 0aa6

does.  Assuming the newline takes up one space, that is
what we want, right?  Contrast with:

    $ fmttest -width 2 -raw -format '%{text}' 'F'

which produces the same output as in the second (-outsize 3) case,

Also, is `width' the value of `tput cols' this time, or one less
again?

Currently, it looks like -outsize counts the newline as one,
like -width.  If we don't want to change that, then we should
call it something else.

David