Re: [Nmh-workers] Thoughts: header/address parsing

2014-08-17 23:01:45
Is -width also only interested in counting bytes?  I'm UTF-8 here, but
get

I know this has been hashed out (and really, Ralph?  How old is your version
of nmh, anyway?), but I wanted to expand on this a bit further.

Since 1.5, the format engine has called mbtowc() on each character (to
process multibyte characters) and determined the width of the character
using wcwidth().  On most modern systems, that takes care of combining
characters properly (which should have zero width, which is really what
fmttest(1) is talking about when it says "zero width" characters).  If
a character cannot fit within the desired width, the character is not
output; this insures that you never get a partial UTF-8 character output,
for example.