Re: [Nmh-workers] Thoughts: header/address parsing

2014-08-26 07:10:07
Hi Ken,

I am not the expert here ... but it looks like to me (after some
experimentation with exactly 1 data point, an xterm), if you print a
character in the last column but follow it with a newline, you don't
get two newlines.

That's on `xenl', AKA `eat_newline_glitch', terminals, AIUI, yes.
terminfo(5):

    Glitches and Braindamage
    Terminals which ignore a line-feed immediately after an am wrap,
    such as the Concept and vt100, should indicate xenl.

Wrapping,
https://www.gnu.org/software/termutils/manual/termcap-1.3/html_chapter/termcap_4.html#IDX69
has some useful background.

I think it should work out the same even if automatic margins are on
or off, right?

I think it depends on the terminal, and whether we're on its last line.
Code does try and make allowances, e.g.
http://sources.debian.net/src/procps/1:3.3.9-7/top/top.c/#L146

I have the feeling that there was no concious decision to make the
format engine print columns one less than the terminal width, it was
just that they counted every byte as one character and a newline was a
byte.

Sounds plausible.  I'm +1 to stop counting the \n.  If any code is
trying to avoid the last column, they can adjust;  as you've pointed out
elsewhere, multi-byte-handling changes have already broken this.

Cheers, Ralph.