Re: [Nmh-workers] A --prefix friendly install

2014-10-05 13:45:18
Ken Hornstein <kenh@pobox.com> writes:

This layout isn't very friendly with 'configure --prefix=/usr/local'.

I would like to adopt a more Berkeley-ish layout. Specifically, moving
.../etc/* to .../etc/nmh/*, and .../lib/* to .../libexec/nmh/*.  This
more closely follows current filesystem layouts, and for those which
don't, we still avoid spamming their existing directories.  And in the
default case, under /usr/local/nmh, nothing is upset internally.

I recently installed nmh at work in my home directory. That, along with
/opt, is pretty much the only case I can think of where putting
everything in a single directory is convenient. I don't like cluttering
the /usr/local namespace with nmh. I think your proposal is that if
prefix is /usr/local, the installation would go in /usr/local/bin/nmh,
/usr/local/etc/nmh, and so on?

The Debian installation puts stuff in /usr/bin/mh, /usr/share/man/man1,
/usr/lib/mh, and /etc/nmh.

Other than people who have paths hardcoded for /usr/local/nmh/lib into
their programs.  We should coordinate with exmh and MH-E people to make
sure that doesn't break things.  Maybe we can even get Valdis to crank
out a new release of exmh?

Regarding MH-E, the following variable specifies possible bin directories:

    (defvar mh-sys-path
      '("/usr/local/nmh/bin"                ; nmh default
        "/usr/local/bin/mh/"
        "/usr/local/mh/"
        "/usr/bin/mh/"                      ; Ultrix 4.2, Linux
        "/usr/new/mh/"                      ; Ultrix < 4.2
        "/usr/contrib/mh/bin/"              ; BSDI
        "/usr/pkg/bin/"                     ; NetBSD
        "/usr/local/bin/"
        "/usr/local/bin/mu-mh/"             ; GNU mailutils MH - default
        "/usr/bin/mu-mh/")                  ; GNU mailutils MH - packaged
      "List of directories to search for variants of the MH variant.
    The list `exec-path' is searched in addition to this list.
    There's no need for users to modify this list. Instead add extra
    directories to the customizable variable `mh-path'.")

We then use "mhparam libdir" and "mhparam libdir" to find the other
directories.

Please let me know if I should add /usr/local/bin/nmh per my comment
above.

--
Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> aka <Bill.Wohler@nasa.gov>
http://www.newt.com/wohler/