Re: [Nmh-workers] default Content-Type boundary value?

2014-11-25 17:32:46
    Date:        Tue, 25 Nov 2014 09:12:18 -0500
    From:        Ken Hornstein <kenh(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com>

  | A quick look through my mailbox shows that = is very common in a
  | boundary, but spaces are rare (I only found one email that wasn't from
  | an MH or nmh user that contained a space in the multipart boundary), so
  | I suspect that's the thing that is causing the problem.

If I had to guess, I'd guess the leading dashes (hyphens, minus signs,
whatever...) - it would be easy for broken software to simply skip all
leading -'s after looking for the leading two that always precede the
boundary marker in the body.   The spaces would be my next guess (assuming
the marker to be one "word").

Anthony, if you can, try using

and see if that works OK?

kre

ps: incidentally I agree with not changing things to cope with broken
software, but in the interests of best compatibility, and recognising that
the standards are supposed to specify what actually works (and so a revision
to it might outlaw usages that are known to break things), and following
the general MH philosophy that *everything* is configurable, perhaps adding
a profile setting with a pattern for the boundary string (which would be
modified in some specified way to account for clashes, and the need for
more than one in a message) would be a reasonable choice ... then people
who know they're sending to something broken could change the default.
Alternatively (and slightly less flexibly) a profile entry to allow the
user to pick one of a small predefined set of boundary styles.