Re: [Nmh-workers] MH FAQ update

2014-12-06 13:28:09
Ken Hornstein <kenh(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com> writes:

The original content of the FAQ came from the comp.mail.mh newsgroup. I
haven't had access to that for years, which is the main reason we
haven't had a FAQ update in a long time. Does it still exist? If so, is
there traffic, and is there an email gateway?

Ralph already answered you, but other than the FAQ and spam, the last
actual on-topic post on the newsgroup was in April.  Before that,
the last on-topic post was in 2012 (and Jerry Heyman was nice enough to
redirect the person to the mailing list).

Thanks, I'll add the reference even if it isn't terribly active.

As I was reacquainting myself with the FAQ, my first reaction was to
remove all of the obsolete text, or references to sites that were no
longer available. However, I thought better of it. This document
encapsulates the long history of MH. What do you think?

I believe that an FAQ should reflect the most up-to-date information
available.  I think questions like, "Why does inc hang on a Sun?", should
totally be deleted.  Also, I think a number of URLs (like to additional
software) are stale.  Maybe take a look at every question that has a date
before 2008 and think about deleting it?  Okay, yeah, that's probably
most of them.  But still, there's a lot of stale stuff in there.

I'd still like to hear from a few others on where to draw the line for
purging old information. A reference to a piece of software whose URL is
no longer accessible might still result in a search that turns up some
software of some use to the user.

I'm inclined to follow Ken's advice. However, once the information is
gone, it is gone forever, so I'd like to get some more opinions before
going crazy.

--
Bill Wohler <wohler(_at_)newt(_dot_)com> aka
<Bill(_dot_)Wohler(_at_)nasa(_dot_)gov>