Re: [Nmh-workers] date math

2014-12-15 11:15:10
So my wife's employer's hosted email system is set up in UTC.  Every
the email I get from her includes a header line such as

Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2014 16:27:12 +0000

It's probably outside the scope of NMH, but I was hoping there might
be a way to set up "show" or "mhl" to notice this and convert the Date
header to either my (the recipient machine's) local time zone, or a
time zone specified in a config file.

You know ... I was wondering this myself.  Turns out there is!  I
realize that mh-format(5) can be a bit daunting, and my first effort
didn't work, but the answer isn't so bad.  The mh-format magic is:

        %(date2local{date})%(pretty{date})

Well, that all depends on where you're using it.  The key line in the
default mhl.format is:

Date:formatfield="%<(nodate{text})%{text}%|%(pretty{text})%>"

For this case, you'd want:

Date:formatfield="%<(nodate{text})%{text}%|%(date2local{text})%(pretty{text})%>"

If you have questions about mh-format(5), the man page has been updated
recently, and for 1.6 we have the spiffy fmttest(1) program written
by yours truely.  I think it helps out a lot, but then I'm obviously
biased!  More questions of course can be directed to this mailing list.