Re: [Nmh-workers] repl -convertargs support committed on branch

2015-02-08 10:18:57
I've gotten no feedback on repl -convertargs.  Either people started
using it and found it so natural that they immediately forgot about
it, or they haven't tried it.

The main enhancement is that content in a replied-to message can be
converted as desired.  Content that isn't converted, such as non-text,
is left out of the draft.  So, this simplifies replies.

It was then straightforward to add support for showing and responding
to iCalendar requests.  For other text content, mhn.defaults has the
code to convert to UTF-8, insert "> ", and format using par if it's
installed.

I can provide detailed instructions if anyone wants to try these out.
Briefly, build on the convertargs branch and look at the functions
in docs/contrib/replaliases.  Or live dangerously and source that file,
then try "rt" or "rtm" on a message.

David

I wrote:

iCalendar attachment support has been committed on the convertargs
branch.  docs/contrib/replaliases has some handy shell aliases
(functions, actually).  mhical(1) has been added.

This introduces one change in default behavior: mhshow/show will
display a formatted version of iCalednar (.ics) attachments instead
of their raw text.

Again, this is just on the convertargs branch.

David

I wrote:

I just committed support for repl -convertargs on a new branch,
convertargs.  It works pretty much as planned:

    http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/nmh-workers/2014-11/msg00076.html

except that it's not enabled by default.  Maybe someday that could
be done by having repl insert Nmh-mhbuild-text/html: and
Nmh-mhbuild-text/plain: pseudoheaders in every draft.

This support doesn't introduce any backward incompatibility.

Per later discussion, if there's a Content-Type + blank line
header at the beginning of the converted output, that will be
used.  And I use sed to insert the leading "> " in replied-to
text.  That's in mhn.defaults, so users can override it with
anything they want in their profile.

The easiest way to use repl -convertargs is to source
docs/contrib/replaliases, see it for details.

I noticed one very minor annoyance while integrating this.  Maybe
it'll help if I retrace my steps.  First, this is how to reply to
a text/html message:

    $ repl -filter mhl.replywithoutbody -convertargs text/html ''

That results in an unhelpful draft with no body.  The user could
run mime at the What now? prompt, but that's an extra step.  So I
added this to that command line:

    -editor mhbuild

and this to my profile:

    mhbuild-next: $EDITOR

That works.  I wanted to add that mhbuild-next line to
mhn.defaults so that users wouldn't have to (and mhbuild shouldn't
normally be run twice).  But that doesn't work because whatnow(1)
doesn't read mhn.defaults.  Maybe we could change that if there's
interest, though I haven't thought through for any possible side
effects.  So the user is left with these choices: 1) run mime at
the What now? prompt 2) add mhbuild-next: $EDITOR or equivalent to
profile and add -edit mhbuild to command line 3) add -edit mhbuild
to command line and run "-e[dit] $EDITOR" or equivalent at the
What now?  prompt

This commit does not support iCalendar attachments.  That's on its
way.

David