Re: [Nmh-workers] show: quotes in email addresses

2015-06-24 11:51:54
Hi Ken,

I meant:  I think that not displaying quotes would be the best
solution.  This would apply to scan(1) as well.

I'm also fine with not displaying quotes by default as well.

For me, "" appearing in scan output is a strong signal it's spam, but
that could just be my ham recipient pool.  :-)

Man, Ralph, does no one you correspond with a) have a middle initial or
b) use a Microsoft-based MUA?  I find that many MUAs simply always add
the quotes even if it's unnecessary.  Also, I find that:

        \"John Smith\"

is depressingly common.

Changing the default:
does that mean changing the format files to add the function call, or
changing the data arriving at the format files.  If the latter, I lose
the option of still seeing them?

I think that David was just suggesting changing the default format (and
mhl) files.  Fossils like you and me that have customized files won't
notice.

I was thinking out loud that perhaps the quotes should really not be
sent down into the format engine at all, since technically they're not
part of the RFC-5322 phrase (well, okay, it's a quoted-string).  But
I thought that was probably too big of a change.  And if it's actually
information people care about, then that's probably a change we shouldn't
make.