Re: [Nmh-workers] base64 ... just looking for advice

2016-01-22 12:42:46
Wolfgang wrote:

Conversion attempt 1:

      $ mhfixmsg +inbox 174 -decodetext 8bit -verbose -outfile ...
      mhfixmsg: 174 part 2, decode text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
      mhfixmsg: 174 part 1, decode text/html; charset="iso-8859-1"

The resulting file is identified by "file" as "ISO-8859 text, with
very long lines"; it basically looks OK, except that I actually would
prefer to have it converted to UTF8 instead.

Right, the mhfixmsg default is -notextcharset.   Its man page shows the
defaults.  To change that, in effect, you can add a -textcharset switch to your
profile, e.g.,

mhfixmsg: -textcharset utf8

Conversion attempt 2:

      $ mhfixmsg +inbox 174 -decodetext 8bit -textcharset utf8 -verbose -outf
ile ...

The resulting file is identified by "file" as "Non-ISO extended-ASCII
text, with very long lines".  Opening the file in "vim" shows that all
the 8 bit characters like the German umlaut characters are wrong;
the quoted-printable encoded "f=FCr" for example was not converted
into "für" as expected, but instead into "für".

What is needed to properly decode everything into UTF8?

Here's my guess at what's happening:  mhfixmsg only converts the character sets
of text/plain parts.  Did you look at that or the text/html part in vim?

We could remove that text/plain restriction and let mhfixmsg convert any text
part.  I don't know if that's a good idea or not.

I assume that your message is a multipart/alternative.  If not, the output from
mhlist -verbose might be helpful.  You can also do things like :

    $ mhfixmsg +inbox 174 -textcharset utf8 -verbose -outfile - | mhlist
-verbose -file -

David