Re: [Nmh-workers] Truncated Email.

2016-03-06 16:54:03
Hi Lyndon,

Is this an instance of fcntl's completely braindead locking behaviour?

Yep.  :-)

     This interface follows the completely stupid semantics of
     System V and IEEE Std 1003.1-1988 (``POSIX.1'')

To give them some credit, fcntl(3p) here says there were too many
existing brain-damaged implementations around for POSIX.1‐2008 to
deviate.  I guess sometimes they're stuck documenting life.

This is why I wanted to outlaw the use of fcntl() locking altogether.
Unfortunately, sometimes even that isn't good enough.  Solaris'
flock(3) calls fcntl(2) internally.  (I should see if Illumos has
finally fixed this.)

You can't make this stuff up.

Dot-locking FTW!  flock(2) starts off sounding sane on Linux these days,
but then you get into the NOTES with all the NFS exceptions, and it
spirals down.  https://manned.org/flock.2

Cheers, Ralph.