Re: [Nmh-workers] Future directions for nmh

2016-03-16 16:45:57
On 09 Mar 10:18, Ken Hornstein wrote:
4) In terms of alternate mail stores, be they Maildir or IMAP (I think
   those are the two major candidates now, right?), I think those ideas
   are interesting.  The #1 problem with those ideas is how to map MH
   message numbers (which can range 1-MAXINT, with holes) to the internal
   key used by those mail stores; everything else is relatively easy
   to deal with.

A few months ago I started working on something like nmh that would
support Maildir.
http://dada.pink/mhdir/

It seems that I addressed this particular issue by building my own
index during inc.
http://dada.pink/mhdir/mhdir/index.py

After doing that, I considered that it might make sense to pass more of
the Maildir structure to the user interface, perhaps by listing
something closer to plain filenames. I think you are right in that this
is the only hard thing; the rest of the MUA was tedious but
straightforward. (In case I got any excited: It was tedious enough that
I never finished it.)

Perhaps it is worth noting that I have never really used nmh; I have
wanted to use it for years but the lack of IMAP or Maildir support to be
too annoying, so I started writing my own to remedy that.