Re: [Nmh-workers] Format function to create wrapped header lines?

2016-09-06 01:09:03
robert wrote:
FWIW, when I see a draft with References that is getting a bit long,
I just (manually) delete all the stuff in the middle) - that is, leave
in the oldest (one or two) and the most recent (one or two) and delete
everything in between - no-one has ever complained about my messages
breaking any threading schemes (in fact, does anyone actually use
References for that, rather than just In-Reply-To and Subject ?)

in fact, they do.  i think mutt is particularly good at doing
threading that way, and in my experience those users are particularly
vocal about how everyone else is doing it wrong. :-)  some mailing
list archives use References for threading as well -- in my opinion
they usually make the archive harder, not easier, to read.

I did that here (though there weren't really enogh refs to require it, and
I would not normally have bothered.)

Sometimes I even add entries to References, when I am reply to one message
and quote from another that is not in the current thread.  No-one seems
to object to that either.

i guess i'd ask a similar situation to yours:  does anyone actually use
References to track mail in the way you're suggesting?

ps: my assumption about the way that References ought to be used, in a
really good MUA mail reader (particularly a GUI reader) is to generate a
menu of related messages for the user to go read - once at one of those,
the user can go forward/backward in the thread to find others that weren't in
the References of the original message.   Ideally, when sending a message
the thread head, most recent (same as in-reply to) and any messages that
contain content actually referred to in the message would be in References,
and nothing else .. but getting that right (even manually) is HARD.

it's the going forward/backward that always seems to be broken, since
the References headers form a tree, not a linear sequence.

(and all of this is, of course, entirely unrelated to whether the
header line should be wrapped or not.)

paul