Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh welcome message

2016-09-29 10:05:36
Oliver wrote:

I like to have a different current folder in different terminals so in
my .zshrc, I do:
  export MHCONTEXT=/tmp/context.$$
I've also got aliases which point it to /dev/null to prevent folder
changes, e.g:
  alias new='MHCONTEXT=/dev/null flist +inbox +nmh-workers +....

So I'm sorry for being a pain but I'm concerned that the message
will get repeated with my non-standard usage.

How about suppressing all of them with something like a "Welcome: disable"
profile component?

Perhaps if the context file comes from $MHCONTEXT, it could only
print the message if the context file already has a Version: reference
where the version is old.

OK.

Also, it looks like you're just doing strcmp on the version. So
what happens for someone with an NFS shared home where the nmh
versions are out of sync between different client systems. They'll
get a welcome message every time they switch between their NFS
client systems, right? It might be better to limit it to cases where
the version number is actually newer.

But I'd like to be notified if a new version is backed out.  So I
think that suppression is the way to go in this case.

If I remember correctly, there's already something printed if
.mh_profile is missing. Have you checked how it interacts with that.

That's a fatal error, and it happens before the nmh version check.

I notice that install-mh is also in the exception list.

That's because install-mh prints the message unconditionally.

Another slight concern I have is with the exceptions being checked by using
strcmp on invo_name because links to nmh commands is maybe not that
uncommon to get different keys for ~/.mh_profile.

Instead of using invo_name, we could put a key in each program, so
it'll work no matter how it's called.  (The key would probably be an
additional parameter to nmh_init()).

As a final point, should it be easier for packagers to customise the
message?

I don't think so.  The message is completely nmh specific.  Packagers
can add with a postinstall, if that's supported.  Or a patch, if not.
I'd be willing to add something here if there's demand, but I just
don't expect it.

David