[Nmh-workers] 8BITMIME?

2016-10-04 20:52:09
As Ralph noted a while back[1], SMTP has an 8BITMIME extension.
nmh currently doesn't support it, except for the recently added
EAI (SMTPUTF8, RFC 6531) corner case.  I'm thinking about adding
full support for it.

One approach would be:
1) In post, look for a Content-Transfer-Encoding header.  It has to
   be the header for the message, not any MIME parts, because we (I)
   don't want to run the MIME parser on the message.  If found, post
   would trust that it's correct.

   If there isn't one, it could scan the entire message body for any
   8-bit bytes.

   BTW, I just committed a fix to mhbuild to properly add a C-T-E
   for all text parts when required.  It gets propagated to the
   message header.

2) If the message body is 8-bit:

   If the server supports 8BITMIME, enable it.

   If the server doesn't support 8BITMIME, fail with a message to
   user that they need to encode the message for 7-bit transport.
   That would be a change from current nmh behavior.

Thoughts?

David

[1] http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/nmh-workers/2012-12/msg00032.html