Re: [Nmh-workers] forw

2016-10-09 20:21:03

norm(_at_)dad(_dot_)org wrote:
I don't recall when attachments first came into nmh, if I ever knew. But I
don't understand why the feature I talked about was not added to forw at that
time. Maybe it was because, for some reason I don't understand it is
difficult??

RFC 934 style attachments, as practiced by burst(1), were far easier to forward. if you just included the raw text (headers + newline + body) then all the attachments went-with.

MIME broke all that. a lot of UI's can't cope with attachment trees where one rfc822 includes another which has attachments. the way modern graphical MIME UI's work is by iterating down through the forwarded message's MIME tree and attaching each attachment to the top level of the forwarding message. this is quite destructive, and complicated, and expensive. but it's what forw(1) would have to do.

--
P Vixie