Re: [Nmh-workers] Unexpected munging of outgoing message with nmh 1.6

2016-11-07 15:50:56
Ralph Corderoy <ralph(_at_)inputplus(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk> writes:
You know, just out loud ... it wouldn't surprise me if it only happens
with lines that start with "#"; I bet even though directives are
turned off, it's seeing a backslash as the directive line continuation
character.

Indeedy.  But presumably Tom is running with -nodirectives or uses an
`#off' in his draft?

No, and no.  I never even heard of -nodirectives, and don't see any such
thing in the "send" man page.  As for #off, why should I be expecting to
have to put directives into a plain text message?

The workflow I'm accustomed to is that, if I've put any directives into
my message, I run mhbuild on them explicitly (using C-c C-e in emacs
MH-Letter mode).  If I haven't done that, I would really rather that
lines that happen to start with '#' not be considered magic.

Looking at the send man page, it claims to invoke mhbuild with -auto,
which mhbuild's man page suggests implies -nodirectives, but that
evidently isn't the behavior I'm getting.

In a different line of thinking: if mhbuild did take #define as a
directive, why didn't it barf on an unrecognized directive?

                        regards, tom lane