[Nmh-workers] Parsing of dot ('.') in name part of address

2016-12-20 09:05:19
Hello,

when attempting to send a message which contains an unescaped dot
('.') character in the display-name part of the address list, I get
an error message:

        post: no at-sign after local-part (<) Wolfgang.Denk
        <wd(_at_)denx(_dot_)de>: No such file or directory, continuing...

This is the relevant line from the test message that trigggers this
error:

      To: Wolfgang.Denk <wd(_at_)denx(_dot_)de>

According to my understanding of RFC 5322, the "Wolfgang.Denk" part
is the "display-name", which is just defined as "phrase".

And "4.1.  Miscellaneous Obsolete Tokens" reads:

        The "period" (or "full stop") character (".") ... appears
        here because the period character is currently used in many
        messages in the display-name portion of addresses, especially
        for initials in names, and therefore must be interpreted
        properly.

Is this a bug in NMH's post command?  Or is my interpretation wrong?

I'm asking because I receive quite a number of messages using such
addresses (all sent from MS Exchanges systems), which then all need
manual editing for reply.

Thanks.

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd(_at_)denx(_dot_)de
"The question of whether a computer can think is no more  interesting
than the question of whether a submarine can swim"
                                                - Edsgar W.  Dijkstra