Re: [Nmh-workers] I did something wrong with replcomps

2016-12-19 20:14:32
As I'm sure you'll recall :-), fmt_compile() calloc's a bunch of
struct format's, then fills some or all of them in.  They're in
contiguous memory, not a linked list.  We could look to see if
there's an unsed one at the end, and if so, copy the last one to it
and slip the new one in.  If no room, we'd have to calloc n+1, copy
all, and insert.

Hm.  I don't think we can figure out, without a lot of work, where to place
an appropriate format instruction to include a Fcc.  For example, on the
stock replcomps you'd want to insert a Fcc _before_ the header separator
line.  And really, it could depend on how the format script gets interpreted.

And, there's the point that kre raised about users possibly depending
on the -form switch to disable or modify the fcc.  They might not like
the warning, but it would be accurate.  And their profile, components
files, scripts, etc., would still work.

I'm trying to imagine why someone would specify both a -fcc switch and
a -form switch to ignore a -fcc.  I mean ... yes, that is possible.  More
likely I think is a person had a replcomps they had from a few decades
ago that they deleted the Fcc: line, and they complain when the -fcc
switch doesn't work because they don't understand the linkage between
those switches and the various components files.
If the goal is to really ignore a -fcc switch maybe you had in your
profile, we could always provide a -nofcc switch.  A warning message
could mention that -nofcc is an option.  It just seems to me that -fcc
that doesn't actually do anything implies a misconfiguration, but it's
not something I feel strongly about.

Regardless of what is done there, I think we're all in agreement that
the current behavior where it takes the Fcc from the replied-to message
is wrong, right?  I can't possibly imagine that was desired behavior
(it's actually hard with nmh to send a message with a Fcc: header).