Re: [Nmh-workers] The -prefer argument to mhshowsca for versison 1.7

2017-09-01 09:58:25
ken wrote:
Ken wrote:
Paul Fox, what say you?

thanks for mentioning my name.  i'd forgotten that i'd had anything
to do with -prefer.  :-)

There's also the option of reversing the order, as in my earlier email.

I'd be fine with either.  But ... adding -noprefer is fine for post-1.7
for me.  But reversing the order post-1.7 seems wrong to me.

remind me: is -prefer not in 1.6?  from your comment, i guess it's not.

we definitely don't want to change the order later.

adding -noprefer would be the simpler change.

that being said, prefer_parts() in mhparse.c goes out of its way to
run the list of parts backwards, so that the first shall be last, so
to speak.  reversing that loop to run forwards would be trivial.

i think i agree with ralph that the order should be changed -- the MH
standard is for later options to override prior ones, which i'm sure i
didn't consider while implementing.

the man pages for mhshow/mhlist do currently give the ordering:  "The
-prefer switch can be used (one or more times, in order of descending
preference) to let MH know...".  it's not in mhstore(1), which refers
to the other two for more detail.  so the man pages must change, and
should probably also make explicit what happens when -prefer is used
both in .mh_profile and on the command line.

though this is my "fault", and i'd normally dive right in, i'm afraid
this isn't the best time for me to take on pre-release changes -- i'm
a little rusty, git-wise, and don't actually have a lot of time at the
moment anyway.

paul