[Nmh-workers] whom(1) Violates RFC 5321: Closes SMTP After RSET.

2017-09-02 12:23:51
Hi,

I use whatnow-whom a lot and notice Postfix complains.

    postfix/submission/smtpd[42]: lost connection after RSET from
        orac.inputplus.co.uk[::1]

It's because whom(1), really post(1), sends `RSET, waits for the reply,
and then closes the connection.
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5321#page-40 says

    The sender MUST NOT intentionally close the transmission channel
    until it sends a QUIT command, and it SHOULD wait until it receives
    the reply (even if there was an error response to a previous
    command).

I think a QUIT should be sent after the RSET.  I suspect if a QUIT was
sent instead then Postfix might then log that a QUIT occurred mid-flow.

I had a look at making the fix, but the mts code copes with several
back-ends, and it wasn't obvious what the impact might be.

--
Cheers, Ralph.
https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy