[Nmh-workers] Why Attempt fork(2) up to Five Times?

2017-09-08 11:52:13
Hi,

I fixed a bug today with one of the many copies of a for-loop that calls
fork(2) up to fives times until it succeeds.  Ken wondered why we bother
with multiple attempts.  It's a good point.  Historically, they were
probably vfork(2), but even so...  If anyone knows a good reason then
pipe up promptly, otherwise they're all turning into a single attempt as
if fork() fails thrice and then succeeds there's probably other problems
coming down the pipe as we plough on.

--
Cheers, Ralph.
https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy