Re: [Nmh-workers] proposed patch for shell metacharacter failure in nmh-1.7

2018-01-15 19:53:20
What I'm trying to accomplish is what IMAP provides by default, namely the
ability to see the same messages with the same attachments from more than
one place.  If nmh could adapt to using maildir format all my problems
would just disappear, since there are IMAP servers which also understand
that format -- but that's an entirely different can of particularly ugly
worms, and I'm no more inclined to try to open it than I imagine you are.

That's ... hard, and also ... I'm not sure how that would help you?  You'd
have to run your own IMAP server, and you'd still only be able to run nmh
on the IMAP server itself.  If you were on the mailing list you'd see about
my experiments with nmh and IMAP, and I think that's a reasonable long-term
goal, but that is also hard (I believe it is entirely doable, but again ...
time to do it).

It's just that what I'm doing works better if I can extract the original
filename for a given attachment, and as you point out that's exactly where
the fun starts.

Well, the REAL issue in my mind is the original filename is an argument to
a shell command.  You can extract the original filename with mhlist -verbose,
and if you're careful you should be okay with that.

Nmh-workers